Internet files and cookies will need to be cleared regularly to ensure your device allows you to see the most relevant and recent content available. Temporary internet files and cookies enable the graphics and allow the most up-to-date information to be shown to you, but sometimes there can be a build up and they need to be cleared.
How to clear temporary internet files and cookies on an Android device
- Open your internet browser.
- Press the 'Menu' button and select 'Settings'.
- Tap 'Privacy'.
- Tap 'Clear browsing data' at the very bottom of the screen.
- Ensure 'Clear browsing history', 'Clear the cache' and 'Clear cookies, site data' are ticked and tap 'Clear'.
- Restart your device to complete the process.
Please rest assured this will simply clear the temporary internet files and cookies that build up during normal browsing activity. It will not affect any other files saved on your device or delete any apps you have.
If your device appears to differ from the steps described above, please refer to its instruction manual for further advice.
How to clear temporary internet files and cookies on an iOS device
Clearing cookies within the Safari browser on your iPhone or iPad can differ slightly depending on your version of iOS. Older versions are not as compatible with our site, so we'd always recommend updating to the latest version available to make sure you have the best experience.
To clear the temporary internet files and cookies on your iPhone or iPad, follow these steps:
- Tap on the 'Settings' icon (cog symbol) on your device's home screen. Select 'Safari'.
- Tap on 'Clear history and website data'.
- Tap on 'Clear history and data' to confirm.
- This will simply clear the temporary internet files and cookies that build up during normal browsing activity. It will not affect any other files saved on your device or delete any programs you have.
How do I update iOS?
To update iOS, connect to Wi-Fi (you may also need to plug in your device to a power source to ensure it doesn't turn off during this process) and click the 'Settings' icon (cog symbol) on your home screen before navigating to General > Software update.
If updates are available, you'll see a description and will be able to click 'Download and install' to get the latest version.